Jeremy Hunt announces the Government's initial response to the Francis Report
Jeremy Hunt's full statement, as well as the parliamentary discussion that followed, can be viewed below. The Health Secretary said that the Government wants to embed a "culture of zero harm" in the NHS, and announced measures including (as per the Department of Health website):
- New Ofsted-style ratings for hospitals and care homes overseen by an Independent Chief inspector of Hospitals and Chief Inspector of Social Care.
- A statutory duty of candour for organisations which provide care and are registered with the Care Quality Commission.
- A review by the NHS Confederation on how to reduce the bureaucratic burden on frontline staff and NHS providers by a third.
- A pilot programme which will see nurses working for up to a year as a healthcare assistant as a prerequisite for receiving funding for their degree.
- Nurses’ skills being revalidated, as doctors’ are now, and healthcare support workers and adult social care workers having a code of conduct and minimum training standards.
Here's the video: